Labor Law Information Resource Center
Lunch Meal Break Monitor Alerts
Meal break is an important time for employees to relax and energize themselves so they can be more productive within their work place. The task of ensuring employees properly take their scheduled, full lunch break can be a challenge for employers. Shift2Work provides the solutions you need to keep your employees on schedule to avoid unnessary overtime.
How Shift2Work Monitoring Alerts Can Help
What employers should do:
Communication of company policy is key. Employees should be made aware of their options and responsibilities in this regard.
Consider doing the following:
- Provide employees with a written company policy manual.
- Thoroughly explain its contents in a new employee “orientation meeting.”
- Have employees sign and date a receipt for this manual, certifying that they have read & understand it. Keep the receipt in company personnel files.
- Regularly discuss company policies about this issue and others in weekly/monthly staff meetings
Shift2Work Lunch Break Monitoring System can help employers:
- Our Lunch Monitor Alert automatically detects & displays colored highlighting in Reports when the following three events occur. With this information, managers/supervisors can take remedial action if required.
also provides employers a way to restrict employees from returning early from lunch. This feature sets a Minimum Lunch Return time
that runs between 50 – 100% of their allowed lunch time.
A. Example with a 30-minute lunch break and Lunch Return setting of 50%, an employee can clock back in from lunch after 15 minutes. The remaining 15 minutes of time is considered work for which the employee is paid.
B. Example: A 30-minute lunch with a 100% Lunch Return setting means employees must use their entire 30 minute lunch break time for something other than work. No time is left from lunch for which an employee would be paid.
With this setting enabled in your Shift2Work account, whenever an employee tries to clock back in too early from lunch, a message will appear acknowledging that an employee’s lunch break time has not yet completed and they can clock back in to work at the time displayed.